Clairo Comes to Vegas

Blake Folkes, Writer

Indie music star Claire Cottrill, better known by her stage name Clairo, hit the stage at the House of Blues this Monday. The show was a part of her Sling tour, commemorating the release of her 2021 sophomore album by the same name. Clairo has toured the country, stopping by Las Vegas Monday night to showcase a night of music for fans and concert goers alike. Clairo headlined the event, but was accompanied by British musician Arlo Parks who opened the concert. 

The venue was packed full, the crowd anticipating the performance. After being ushered into the venue, an hour of excitement passed the time before the first performance started. So what was it like? Being crushed between people was definitely the only downside of the concert but was worth it for fans of the musicians. Shortly after the enthusiastic performances from Arlo Parks, the stage was cleared as the set up for Clairo was prepared. With drums, pianos, guitars and microphones in place, the lights dimmed as Clairo and her band came up to the stage. Between cheers, applause, and screams, the crowd eagerly welcomed the breakout star. 

Wasting no time, the show opened with slow ballads from the album Sling, starting with songs such as Bambi and Zinnias. The songs were beautifully orchestrated, the live versions sounding not too different from the studio versions, though still having their own flare that grabbed the attention of the audience. Perfectly transitioning from the slow ballads of Sling, Clairo began to perform songs from her 2019 debut album Immunity, starting with slower songs such as the soft piano driven Alewife. Stealing the show, fans chanted the hit song Bags, which was just one moment when the lyrics of her songs unified the crowd. 

Continuing the show, Clairo began to play more slow songs from Sling, still captivating the audience. Finishing strong, Clairo played her 2017 breakout hit Pretty Girl, which definitely was a nostalgic favorite for the crowd as everyone sang along. To wrap the show all together, Clairo kept her most popular song Sofia for last. As the show finished, the crowd cheered and Clairo, accompanied by her band, bowed before heading out. Overall the experience was something that will forever be solidified as an exciting memory as a fan of Clairo.