Should students have to put their phone up in class?

Getty Images/iStockphoto

The new Apple iPhone X Silver Color 256GB Model with White Blank Startup Screen isolated on white background.

Lokelani Kealohapauole, Writer

I think that this matter is something that teachers should do to an extent. In a sense, so students can’t really say anything about not knowing what’s going on or an assignment they didn’t even know about because the teacher would’ve had their undivided attention.

Many students will make excuses for not getting what they need to get done finished because they either “didn’t hear it,” or “didn’t understand,” there wouldn’t be any excuse to give. If there were ever times that there was independent work where this would be acceptable and honestly being a student myself listening to music while doing work does help me get it done faster.

What a lot of kids might not know is how it would help more students with this than you think. Having a policy that limits cell phone use can eliminate such distractions and help improve student focus. You’ll have lower concentration on assignments that you’re supposed to have your undivided attention to when in class.

I think that we shouldn’t have our phones in the beginning of class but I do think for certain times we should be allowed to. I think that this is something that teachers should look into getting taken care of but I also think that if approached with being stern it can get done and could be a good policy for teachers to look into.